Archive for the ‘Healthy Living’ Category
Free Stop Smoking Classes
April 25th, May 2nd-5th, 9th, 12th, 16th, & 23rd (9 classes total) 6:30 – 8:00pm
The program features:
- Quality instructor – former smoker who has gone through a minimum of 100 hours of training
- Step-by-step account of what happens to you after you quit
- Program content is updated and revised by a team of Shawnee Mission Medical Center health professionals
- Development of strategies and support systems
- Lessons on how to limit depression, anxiety and weight gain
The class will be taught by Shawnee Mission Medical Center and will be held at the church.You can sign up by calling Ask-A-Nurse at 913-676-7777 or by using the form below:
If you’ve read the May edition of Oak Grove News, then you should already be familiar with the Sabbath Manifesto and the challenge I issued to all the church members to unplug this Sabbath, May 8th. If you haven’t read the newsletter, you can find it by clicking here (PDF link).
The challenge is simple: turn off, unplug, or otherwise disconnect yourself from all unnecessary technology for one day and spend that day focusing on your relationship with God and with your friends and family. In the newsletter article I suggested singing with the Sunshine Band, but that’s been postponed a week. The other ideas of taking a stroll in Burr Oak Woods or visiting with friends after church will still work for good activities for an unplugged day. If going for a stroll sounds too unrelaxing, take your Bible with you to Burr Oak Woods and spend some time studying God’s word while enjoying His creation. Whatever you decide to do, the only rules for the challenge are that it doesn’t include technology (a car to get you there is fine) and that it helps to draw you closer to God.